Wednesday, March 24, 2010

the pound hug myth

It seems that there must be some truth to this pound-hug myth which has been a running joke between me and a friend (you know who you are and I bet you're already grinning by now). This traces its roots to an incident last year when a guy was approaching me and I had a mental panic attack that he might make beso (haha ang conyo) to me, to think that we're not even close. So in that split second when I had to make a decision, I suddenly took the lead and POUND-HUGGED him, much to the hilarity of my friends who witnessed the incident.

I was trying to justify my act when the story was related again to my other friends, to which one guy friend looked at me as if I was crazy. Okay fine, only guys do the pound hug. But hey, I did a fist bump with another guy before and the Obamas also famously did the move. And according to this picture, it has a lesser risk of swine flu contraction (haha).
from MSNBC

Okay, so I thought it was just one of those unique moments that I'll laugh about again in n years. I'm even glad that the said friend in the first paragraph also had an almost-pound-hug incident herself (so see, it happens). But lo and behold, I almost had the same defensive instinct tonight at a dinner party. Guy (who I wasn't expecting to be at the party, not my crush, but he is cute) suddenly arrives to our table (my parents and I are eating there with his family) and made beso to my parents. Mental panic attack on my head and I had this very weird URGE to pound hug him! I'm like what the heck are you thinking? Thankfully, I didn't do that. I think it was an embarrassing encounter for both of us (since we're just acquaintances even though we played when we were children) and I just muttered a "Hey..." (without meeting his eyes, yeah, I'm a coward), and he responded by patting (or did he just tapped it?) me on my shoulders. Okay, that was a weird response but oh well at least nothing embarrassing happened throughout the whole night.

So yeah, I don't know why I wrote this in my public blog, but yeah...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"lesser risk of swine flu contraction"

tama, pare. justify! *rotfl*

resident_nutty said...

oh di ba! let's leave it at that! seriously, i just want to have a pound-hug pic in this post and i was so happy to find this! LOL

kamusta naman ang elbow rub di ba? literal!!!

rissee said...

i do fist pumps with my sister's fiance. but i think he doesn't get it, that i can do fist pumps--he always gets this look on his face na parang, is this girl for real??? a fist pump??

whatev.

but you're right: prefer the pound-hug over a beso. scary!

resident_nutty said...

@ris whatev talaga

maybe their proprietary on their social gestures? LOL maybe it's a guy thing and they don't want us copying them.

had an almost pound hug thing nga ulit the other day! the guy was about to shake my hand, but i clasped it ala-pound hug (minus the hug part since i don't know him)....ack hahaha oh well

Rome said...

I really wished that I witnessed said incident. When the story was told, I couldn't resist laughing about it. Pero parang nagiging knee-jerk reaction mo na yung pound-hugging... :P