Monday, December 31, 2018

eventful 2018

I decided to do this entry ahead of time – it’s Christmas Eve – since my family will be flying in tomorrow for the holidays. My condo would be a war zone for two weeks and I don’t think I can scour the mindset to do an end-of-year post. Besides, I checked in a nice hostel nearby just to free my mind for the next 24 hours. Agenda is to do my laptop stuff with no distractions (hence white stuff all around). This is my last treat for myself since I need to recalibrate (been using that term A LOT this year) before going back to work.

So, how has 2018 fared for you? I scrolled through 2017’s year-end post and I apparently wished that I was less restless this year. I think I fairly accomplished that since there were a lot of STUFF that happened that I barely had time for idle thoughts and be restless (maybe that’s why I did this brief staycation haha).

Main reason for un-restlessness: MY UK TRIP HAPPENED THIS YEAR! It was a tiring and awesome two weeks with my bestfriend. Thoughts of the Scottish Highlands (it was beautiful, I have no words) would be there every time I space out. I made a daily vlog during the trip but my sd card got corrupted (I swear, when will I ever learn! Argh) so as of now I have no England clips (Scotland clips are still alive…for now). Hopefully I get through my vlog backlog and finish all of them by next year.

For other trips that happened this year and contributed to my state of poverty: Went to Korea in April (which contributed to my friends’ itchiness for Korea in the fourth quarter), and as part of my connecting flight to London in October (good idea, since I didn’t miss Korea as much as my friends did haha). Finally went on a waterfall hike trip in Laguna – hit three waterfalls with Ris in a span of three hours (productive to the max). Then went to Caramoan and Albay with my Metrobank girlfriends, which was tiring and fun at the same time. The adventures during that trip were endless, buti na lang taas ng tolerance ng friends ko for trip mishaps haha. Managed to squeeze in a Dive n Trek snorkel trip last August (should’ve added another one to end the year huhu), which includes a solo province bus (strangely relaxing and liberating?) ride to Laguna for Ris (si Ris na naman – dami pala nating trips together…?). And FINALLY had a trip abroad with my complete college barkada (in Hong Kong). We just drank alcohol more than 50% of the time. Which is how all vacations should be to be honest.

Funnily though, I didn’t realize that I went to THAT many trips this year. All of them (maybe except the UK trip) were obscured by the other life stuff this year. I was hospitalized and underwent an operation last March, and already cleared last August as of my last ultrasound. Thankfully that turned out well for me. Glad that my mom happened to be in my condo during that time and it was not that serious (in the grand scheme of things). I also went to an epic concert last month probably the best kpop concert I’ve been to as of now. Money well spent haha.

Also went to (and passed) the Korean Elementary 1 course (ang hirap ha) in KCC, and unfortunately (fortunately?) was not able take the TOPIK exam because the date is during my UK trip. Not sure if I'll take the test in 1Q2019 (why do I have to make my life complicated?). Also got to finish a certificate course in Economic Diplomacy! Haha what is productive.

There are lots of adulting moments during this year as well for me and my friends. Suffice to say, these are the times that I’m happy I have a condo to myself at a strategic location so that my friends can swing by anytime (preferably with a beer bottle or two) and be sounding boards for a night.

Kinda ironic that I’m talking about adulting moments now that I’m already 34 (overdue adulting) but this year has sorely tested how much adulting I can take. While this year has been emotionally taxing, I am grateful for the shallow and deep (‘cause both have equal standing) conversations with my friends on whatever is the topic of the moment. I have no idea if I have become wiser or more clueless from all the blessings and shitstorms this year, but I know in the future I’ll look back at 2018 and think to myself, what was a beautiful yet crappy year, next!

And so, I enter 2019 surprisingly with more optimism compared to previous years because 2018 was such a weird year and I don’t know how 2019 can top it LOL. And dammit, I’ll be 35 next year and I have no time (and money) to go on a midlife crisis *nervous laugh* so here’s to optimism!

So yeah, cheers for a crazy 2018 and hopefully a positively crazy 2019 ahead. Thank you to the people in life for still keeping me sane. I hope I can make it up to you next year.

No comments: